Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hello and welcome.


Over the past 6 years I have gained a passion for Medical Case Management and Social Work in the Hospital setting.  It is a high stress, fast paced, and rewarding field to work in.  I have had the opportunity to connect with many amazing Nurses, Therapists (physical, occupational, respiratory, etc.), Doctors, Social Workers, Administrators, financial counselors, and certainly patients and their families.  One of the most important things I have learned through this is that together we have to work toward a common goal or none of us will be successful in our particular jobs.

In the position of Case Manager I have had the privilege of being the person that assists in putting the pieces together from all disciplines to make a meaningful, effective, and manageable treatment plan for the patients and their families.  Balancing treatments, insurance and affordability, access to care, and safe discharge planning has been challenging as well as rewarding.  It has allowed me to excel while also accessing the best others have to offer as they push me to be better. 

Self reflection aside, what I have learned throughout this time is the many ways we can improve access to care for patients outside of the hospital setting, maximizing quality care in the hospital, and expediting that care to allow patients to get home to their families or simply to get out of the hospital and away from the health risks that persist there.  Moving healthcare out of the inpatient setting and allowing patients the access to care on an outpatient basis, in my perspective, is what we should strive for in medical case management.   Also in doing this we must educate and empower patients to take control of their healthcare and provide them with a treatment plan to do so.

My goal with this blog is to create an open forum to discuss the many different topics that relate to Medical Case Management.  By doing so, I hope to inspire and be inspired to help Case Management progress to meet the needs of patients and the Health Care Industry in this modern world.  I believe there is a lack of passion and inspiration in my field currently, and I want to help create that passion and creativity.    

1 comment: